I want to start off this post by admitting that I am not the cleanest eater. This is mainly because I am so picky, and with always being on the go I usually opt for something unhealthy and quick. And we all know unhealthy fast foods has been linked weight gain. So, I did a little research and I discovered some recipes that are quick to prepare, healthy, and delicious. SO, now hope is here.
1. Lemony Broccolini Pasta
1 pound Casarecceor or other short pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound broccolini, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente or preference.
2. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the broccolini and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice and sauté for about 1minute.
3. Bring to a simmer and in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
4. Drain pasta and add to sauce. Top with salt and pepper, basil and pine nuts.
2. Flank Steak Tacos with Cucumber sauce
1/2 European cucumber, finely diced
1/2 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 jalapeño, minced
1 garlic clove, mined
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground balk pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried cumin
3/4 teaspoon dried coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon chile powder
1 1/2 pound flank steak
1 tablespoon extra- virgin olive oil
12 white corn tortillas
1. Salsa: In a medium bowl, mix cucumbers, scallions , lime juice, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper.
2. Steak: in a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, and chile powder. Rub mixture on steak.
3. Brush steak on both sides with oil and grill until desired.
4. Allow steak to cool. Heat tortillas on each side until brown.
5. Slice steak, place in tortillas, and add 1 tablespoon on cucumber salsa on each tortilla.
3. Pan-fried Cod with Orange and Swiss Chard
four 6oz cod fillets
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
1 red onions, thinly sliced
1 orange, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
2 1/2 cups chopped Swiss chard
1. Season each cod fillet on both sides with salt and pepper. Put flour in a large bowl and stir n the cayenne pepper. Cover both sides cod in flour.
2. In large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add cod and pan fry until browned and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
3. Remove cod from pan. Drain pan and leave 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, orange, and sauté until onions are tender, so about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and Swiss chard, and cook until tender, about another 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Top cod with onions, oranges, parsley, and Swiss chard to cod.
4. Spicy Corn Carbonara
1 16 ounce can of corn
8 strips of bacon
1 red onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
16 ounces spaghetti or linguine
2 large eggs yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
freshly ground pepper
chives, for serving
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until very crispy, so for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon from the pan and place on paper towel to drain oil.
2. Add the red onion and cook until tender so about 4 minutes. Add corn and garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add pepper, and lower heat.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot add salt and boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Scoop out and save 1 cup of pasta water. Then drain rest of water from pasta.
4. Stir pasta water into the corn mixture. Bring heat to medium and bring mixture to a simmer. Add pasta to the skillet.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and heavy cream. Add to skillet and mix well. Crumble bacon, add to pasta along with parmesan and black pepper. Top with chives and plate.
5. Rotisserie Chicken
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
20 ounces ramen noodles
3 cups shredded store-brought rotisserie chicken
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
Chile garlic sauce, for taste
1. In a medium saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until well brown about 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
2. Bowl eggs in a medium pot until desired firmness, either soft or hard boiled. Run over cool water when done, peel, and set aside.
3. In a large pot, combine the chicken broth with beef broth and soy sauce, Bring to a simmer.
4. Add ramen noodles to broth and cook until tender about 4 to 6 minutes.
5. Add ramen noodles with broth into bowl, top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of mushrooms, 1/2 cup of shredded chicken, 3 tablespoons of scallions, chile garlic sauce for taste, and slice eggs sliced in half.